Federal officials served administrative subpoenas on Marxist political influencer Hasan Piker and Code Pink co-founder Susan Medea Benjamin as part of a Cuba sanctions inquiry tied to a March activist convoy to Havana, Fox News Digital reported.
The Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control sent the subpoenas as Requests for Information seeking financial, logistical, and communications records tied to the Nuestra América Convoy, according to the report.
The inquiry centers on whether American activists violated U.S. sanctions laws through financing, coordination, or delivery of goods to Cuba, including possible contacts with Cuban government personnel or entities.
Fox did not report any criminal charges against Piker, Benjamin, or any other convoy participant.
Convoy Draws Federal Scrutiny
The March convoy included hundreds of delegates from dozens of countries and organizations, including Americans connected to left-wing activist networks, according to the report. The broader inquiry includes as many as 40 American citizens, and additional subpoenas are expected.
Piker, one of the most prominent political streamers on Twitch, has built a large audience through socialist and anti-American commentary. Fox described him as a “Marxist political influencer” and highlighted a podcast appearance in which Piker described communism as the “final goal” of socialism.
A December profile in The Guardian, the newspaper of the Communist Party of Australia, said Piker uses his platform to “dissect the news through a self-proclaimed Marxist-Leninist lens.”
Piker posted “I’M GOING TO CUBA” on Instagram on March 10, according to the subpoena report.
Benjamin, a longtime anti-war activist, helped co-found Code Pink, a far-left activist group known for confrontational demonstrations at congressional hearings, public events, and appearances by government officials.
Cuba Sanctions At Issue
The Cuba trip has drawn scrutiny because U.S. law restricts many Cuba-related financial transactions. The Office of Foreign Assets Control administers the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 CFR Part 515, which govern U.S. sanctions involving Cuba.
Those regulations include restrictions on loans, credits, other financing, direct financial transactions with certain Cuban entities, and lodging transactions involving certain properties in Cuba.
Supporters have described the Nuestra América Convoy as a humanitarian effort to deliver supplies to Cuba. Federal investigators now appear focused on whether any financing, coordination, contacts, or goods connected to the trip crossed legal lines under U.S. sanctions.
Code Pink, Singham Network Back In Spotlight
The subpoenas also bring renewed attention to Neville Roy Singham and Jodie Evans, another Code Pink co-founder. Evans, who is married to Singham, is also under investigation over her role in the March trip, according to the report.
Fox previously reported that Singham has directed $278 million into nonprofit groups that pushed pro-China, pro-Cuba, and anti-U.S. messaging. The outlet also reported that Code Pink received $1.33 million from Singham after his marriage to Evans.
The latest inquiry follows prior scrutiny of activist funding networks tied to Singham and Code Pink. As previously reported by The Dallas Express, Singham and Evans surfaced in coverage of alleged foreign-linked activist funding networks, and Code Pink activists later disrupted President Donald Trump’s dinner at a Washington, D.C., restaurant.
Broader Influence Inquiry
Federal officials have shown growing interest in whether foreign-aligned activist networks are shaping political organizing inside the United States.
A separate May 23 report said officials with the Justice and Treasury departments were examining 145 U.S. nonprofits and activist groups with $1 billion in collective revenues as part of a broader Cuba-linked influence inquiry.
Piker, Benjamin, Singham, Evans, and Code Pink did not respond to requests for comment, according to the subpoena report.