DX
Download Download Now
State

‘This Could Have Been Prevented’ — 17-Year-Old Illegal Alien Faces Multiple Felonies After Austin Gun-Theft Rampage

Austin Shooting Spree: Illegal Alien Charged | Image by Canva

A 17-year-old suspect involved in the shooting spree in Austin over the weekend made his first court appearance. During the hearing, he was formally identified and faced six felony charges. It was also revealed that he is an illegal alien and is now subject to an immigration hold.

Cristian Mondragon-Fajardo, 17, faced a judge Tuesday for the first time since his arrest in the May 16-17 shooting spree – and the hearing revealed more than just charges. He has no bond, is not a U.S. citizen, carries an ICE hold, and was already on juvenile probation with an active detainer at the time of the shooting spree.

The Austin Police Department (APD) arrested Mondragon along with two other suspects, ages 16 and 15. Because the younger two remain juveniles under Texas law, APD is limited in what information can be publicly released regarding their identities and jail status. However, both co-defendants are described as Hispanic males.

Mondragon faces multiple charges, including multiple counts related to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault with a motor vehicle, unlawful use of a motor vehicle, theft of a firearm, evading arrest, and other related offenses. Additional charges may be filed as investigators continue reviewing evidence before his trial date.

As previously reported by The Dallas Express, the trio is accused of carrying out at least 12 shootings across Austin over 19 hours, injuring four people – one critically – while stealing at least five cars and shooting at two Austin Fire Department stations.

New details have also emerged about the group’s history of thefts from a local gun shop.

Michael Cargill, owner of Central Texas Gun Works, confirmed the gun used in the spree was stolen from his store and blamed the Travis County DA’s office for failing to prosecute Mondragon months earlier, per KXAN.

“This could have been prevented if this individual had been prosecuted. He should not have been on the streets,” Cargill said. He told reporters the group had come to his store at least four times. Back in January, Cargill says he even chased Mondragon onto a bus after he stole a gun, telling him, “If you pull out this gun on the back of this bus, you better think twice.” Mondragon was arrested later that day and released to his parents. A warrant was later issued when he violated his release terms, but Cargill says he was never told.

The chaos from this past weekend’s crime spree came to an end in Manor, Texas, where Manor Police spotted a stolen white Kia Optima and pursued it until the suspects drove into a field and bailed on foot. One was caught near the car; a second was tracked down through an extensive search involving K-9 units and air support; and the third was picked up after a suspicious-person call in the same area. All three were taken into custody.

APD has since confirmed that not every target was a stranger. “Some victims were known to the suspects, while other incidents appeared to occur without any known connection,” the department said.

The investigation remains active. Investigators are still processing shell casings, surveillance footage, recovered stolen vehicles, and digital evidence. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact APD’s Aggravated Assault Unit at 512-974-5177 or submit an anonymous tip to Capital Area Crime Stoppers at austincrimestoppers.org or 512-472-8477.

Previous Article
Texas DPS Adds New “Deaf/Hard of Hearing” Option To Driver Licenses Texas DPS Adds New “Deaf/Hard of Hearing” Option To Driver Licenses
Next Article
Keller Police Warn Parents: Riders On E-Bikes Are Fleeing Cops And Breaking Laws Keller Police Warn Parents: Riders On E-Bikes Are Fleeing Cops And Breaking Laws