The Dallas Cowboys likely will release running back Ezekiel Elliott, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and other media outlets reported Wednesday.
The reports have been confirmed by the NFL Network and CBS Sports.
While appearing on the network Wednesday morning, the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported that the Cowboys are going to meet with Elliott later on Wednesday, and it is likely the team will decide to move on.
CBS’ Josina Anderson added via Twitter that the release “will come within the next few days.”
All reports say Elliott will be designated a June 1 cut, which will save the Cowboys $10.9 million in cap space.
“He’s making a lot of money, and he knows that,” Cowboys Chief Operating Officer Stephen Jones said when asked about Elliott’s future earlier this offseason.
“Zeke obviously did an amazing job for us. He came in right away and was dominant and helped us win a lot of football games. I don’t second-guess that one, but it is hard for these guys to play 10 years at a real high level.”
The running back has spent all seven years of his career in Dallas since the franchise drafted him fourth overall out of Ohio State in 2016.
During his rookie season, he ran for 1,631 yards and 15 touchdowns and finished in second place for the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year and in third place for the AP NFL MVP.
Elliott became the Cowboys’ third all-time leading rusher with 8,262 yards and 68 touchdowns while adding 2,336 yards and 12 touchdowns in the passing game. He passed the 1,000-yard mark in four of the seasons he played in Dallas while leading the league in rushing twice and earning three Pro Bowl nods.
The seven-year veteran is coming off the worst season of his career, and many have speculated about his future with the Cowboys since the season ended.
Dallas executives had previously said they wanted to bring him back, but his release now appears imminent.