Timberview High School students returned to class for the first time since 18-year-old Timothy Simpkins opened fire on the school campus.
As previously reported by the Dallas Express, Simpkins shot and injured four people in the high school after allegedly getting in a fight with 15-year-old Zaccheus Selby. Selby was shot four times, leaving the 15-year-old in critical condition. He also shot and injured one other student and two teachers.
Dallas Express further reported that following the shooting, classes and after-school activities were canceled for the high school.
Monday, October 11th, marked the first day that students returned to class following the shooting.
Mansfield Independent School District Superintendent Dr. Kimberley Cantu said the safety and security protocols of the entire school district are currently under review.
“We do have a safety and security expert with us on staff,” Cantu said. “He has been with us for over a year, and he will be an integral part as we move forward and looking at any gaps that may exist within our safety and security protocols.”
The district also revealed that police presence on the Timberview campus will be heightened until further notice.
Dallas Express reports that Simpkins’ family claimed he had been a victim of bullying and was only defending himself when he opened fire. Simpkins’ family added that he had been harassed on the school campus repeatedly. They claim that he has been robbed on two occasions, one of them occurring in front of onlookers who did nothing to help.
In a recorded message, Cantu responded to the bullying claims saying that bullying is not tolerated on district campuses.
“We take allegations of bullying very, very seriously,” Cantu said. “We do have a process in place where bullying can be reported, it can be investigated, and actions can be taken.”
Simpkins has since been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.