Six Hospitalized After CO Poisoning

Six people were hospitalized due to apparent carbon monoxide poisoning | Image by Glen Ellman/Fort Worth Fire Department/Facebook

Six people were hospitalized due to apparent carbon monoxide poisoning on Monday.

The Fort Worth Fire Department (FWFD) and Medstar emergency personnel responded to a call from a child at a home in south Fort Worth around 8 p.m. on March 27. The child reported that his mother was not feeling well, according to a social media post from the FWFD.

This child answered the door shortly before collapsing to the ground. Emergency personnel began to treat the child and discovered several other unconscious children inside the home. Those inside were immediately rushed out of the house to be treated.

Officials determined that they were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The mother and children were subsequently rushed to a local hospital.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by kerosene heaters, combustion engines, gas stoves, and other common tools. Carbon monoxide can build up in enclosed spaces.

Each year, at least 420 people in the U.S. die and over 100,000 visit emergency rooms due to accidental CO poisoning, the CDC reports.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission previously warned consumers against using portable power generators inside homes during an ice storm in February due to the risk of CO poisoning, as reported by The Dallas Express.

Symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, and vomiting. However, those who are sleeping or have consumed alcohol have a risk of dying without ever experiencing any symptoms.

Five firemen were also taken to the hospital for elevated CO levels but were treated and released.

The FWFD said that a car had been left running in the home’s garage that had produced the toxic fumes and caused the residents’ sickness.

The condition of the mother and her children is currently unknown.

The FWFD advised that citizens ensure their children know how to dial 911 and that civilians install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.

Support our non-profit journalism

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *