DX
Download Download Now
Sports

Texas High School Baseball Chaos: Three Powerhouses Disqualified From UIL Postseason

Dallas Express | May 18, 2026
Baseball, bat, and glove lying on base on field | Image by Canva

Three prominent Texas high school baseball programs, including two defending state champions, have been forced out of the UIL postseason after their school districts self-reported the use of ineligible players.

The University Interscholastic League confirmed the withdrawals involved Grapevine High School, Centerville High School, and Poolville High School. Each case stemmed from separate eligibility issues, resulting in forfeitures and major changes to playoff brackets across multiple classifications.

Grapevine High School, the defending Class 5A state champion and the top-ranked 5A team in Texas, withdrew from the playoffs after Grapevine-Colleyville ISD reported that an ineligible player had participated during the season. The Mustangs had been seeking a third consecutive state title.

District officials said they received notice from the UIL on April 28 regarding allegations tied to a player’s eligibility. After an internal review initially upheld the player’s status, the district said new information provided by the UIL the following day determined the athlete was ineligible under UIL Section 442, which governs residency requirements.

As required under UIL rules, Grapevine forfeited all games involving the player and was removed from postseason competition.

Centerville High School, the reigning Class 2A Division I state champion, also exited the playoffs after Centerville ISD self-reported an eligibility violation on May 13.

The Tigers had already advanced to the regional semifinals before forfeiting the remainder of their season. Shelbyville, Centerville’s area-round opponent, advanced in its place to face Harleton.

According to the UIL, Centerville ISD launched a multi-day internal investigation after receiving notice regarding concerns over a player’s eligibility. District officials worked alongside UIL representatives, the District Executive Committee, and other involved parties before determining a violation had occurred.

Poolville High School was removed from the postseason before district certification after officials discovered an eligibility oversight involving a transfer student whose prior athletic participation form was missing.

The Monarchs forfeited all district games, surrendered their District 13-2A championship, and were disqualified from the Class 2A playoffs.

Under UIL Constitution and Contest Rules, the minimum penalty for using an ineligible player is forfeiture of all affected contests.

The UIL has not released the names of the players involved or disclosed detailed information about the violations. The organization directed requests for records and correspondence through the University of Texas’ open records process.

The disqualifications abruptly ended successful seasons for all three programs and reshaped playoff matchups across the state. Officials said the self-reporting process reflected districts following UIL compliance procedures once eligibility concerns were identified.

Previous Article
Moose Calls: How The Cowboys Dynasty Began In 1989 Moose Calls: How The Cowboys Dynasty Began In 1989
Next Article
Save Texas History: Get A Limited-Edition T-Shirt And Support Preservation Save Texas History: Get A Limited-Edition T-Shirt And Support Preservation