Dallas, US
8:29 pm, Dec 06
English Español


Fine Print

English Español

Suspect Claims Murder Victim Stole Handgun Before Being Shot

City & State

Mugshots of Luis Angel Martinez (L) and Geovani Arreguin (R).| Images from Dallas County Jail

One of the two teenagers accused of fatally shooting a 22-year-old man in Far East Dallas earlier this month told police that the victim stole a handgun and turned it on them before they opened fire on him.    

Dallas police arrested Luis Angel Martinez, 17, and Geovani Arreguin, 19, Saturday, November 13, on murder charges after both teenagers were accused of fatally shooting Isiah Thompson.    

Dallas police officers responded to a shooting call in the 1700 block of Barnes Bridge Road, near Garland Road, on Friday. Responding officers found Thompson, 22, lying on the ground with multiple gunshot wounds. The shooting incident occurred in a strip mall parking lot, and Thompson was pronounced dead at the hospital.    

According to an arrest warrant affidavit, Thompson told a witness that allegedly “Geo” shot him just before he died. The witness also told investigators that Thompson had tried to run away after an encounter with two men in a pickup truck. The witness told police that one of the two men allegedly followed him and shot him.    

According to the affidavit, the witness wrote down the truck’s license plate number, and part of what the witness wrote matched a vehicle driven by one of the suspects.  

Police revealed that Arreguin was shot during the incident, and he and Martinez went to a hospital. They were both taken in for questioning, but only Martinez spoke with detectives.    

According to the affidavit, Martinez allegedly told officers that he and Arreguin had gone to the parking lot to sell a gun to Thompson. Martinez said he allegedly gave Thompson the gun on arrival, but Thompson turned the gun on Arreguin, demanding money.    

Martinez told investigators that Arreguin allegedly told Thompson he could have the gun because he didn’t have any money. Thompson, however, allegedly refused to leave.

According to Martinez, Thompson and Arreguin fought over the gun before the victim allegedly shot Arreguin in the arm and leg.    

According to the affidavit, Martinez told police that he grabbed a gun on Arreguin and shot Thompson. Thompson ran away, and Martinez went after him while still shooting at Thompson. Matinez said he continued to shoot at Thompson even after he collapsed to the ground, only stopping after his gun ran out of bullets.    

Martnez told investigators that he and Arreguin drove away from the scene and later threw Thompson’s phone and the handgun out of the car window.    

Both suspects are currently being held at the Dallas County Jail as of Wednesday. Bail was set at $300,000 for Arreguin and $200,000 for Martinez.