The White House on January 2 outlined a broad, multi-agency federal effort aimed at addressing what the Trump administration describes as widespread fraud across Minnesota public assistance and grant programs, citing ongoing investigations, prosecutions, and funding freezes.
According to the administration, the federal response spans multiple departments and follows months of investigative reporting and whistleblower warnings regarding suspected fraud in programs including Feeding Our Future, Housing Stabilization Services, Early Intensive Developmental and Behavioral Intervention programs, and Evergreen Recovery.
As The Dallas Express previously reported, Minnesota lawmakers had warned state agencies about alleged daycare and childcare fraud months before a viral documentary drew national attention and prompted federal action. Legislators said concerns were repeatedly raised with state officials but were not addressed.
Justice Department and FBI Investigations
The White House said the U.S. Department of Justice has charged 98 defendants in Minnesota-related fraud cases to date, with 64 convictions already secured. Federal prosecutors have issued more than 1,750 subpoenas, executed over 130 search warrants, and conducted more than 1,000 witness interviews as part of ongoing investigations, according to the administration.
Officials said some of the facilities highlighted in recent investigative reporting and online videos are now under active federal investigation, including one site where 13 defendants have reportedly been charged.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation, according to the White House, is investigating dozens of Minnesota health care and home care providers accused of fraud. The bureau has also deployed forensic accountants and data-analysis teams and is examining potential links between fraud schemes, public officials, and terrorist financing.
DHS, HHS, and SBA Actions
The Department of Homeland Security has deployed hundreds of Homeland Security Investigations officers to Minnesota to conduct on-the-ground inspections of suspected fraud sites, with additional personnel expected. The administration said DHS has identified more than 1,300 fraud findings during site visits in Minneapolis and Saint Paul earlier this year as part of Operation Twin Shield, with some cases undergoing further review for immigration consequences.
The Department of Health and Human Services has frozen certain childcare payments nationwide and implemented new documentation requirements, including receipts or photographic evidence, for childcare-related reimbursements. HHS is also investigating Minnesota Head Start programs and enforcing a federal law requiring sponsors to repay Medicaid benefits incurred by sponsored immigrants, according to the administration.
The Small Business Administration has halted annual grant payments to Minnesota and suspended approximately 6,900 borrowers connected to an estimated $400 million in suspected fraudulent activity. Those individuals have been barred from future SBA loan programs, including disaster loans, the White House said.
Additional federal actions include investigations by the Department of Housing and Urban Development into potential public housing assistance fraud and a targeted review by the Department of Labor of Minnesota’s Unemployment Insurance program. The Department of Agriculture has also directed Minnesota to recertify SNAP recipients to ensure compliance with eligibility requirements.
Administration Says Investigations Ongoing
The White House said the investigations and enforcement actions remain ongoing and described the effort as an unprecedented, coordinated federal response to alleged large-scale fraud affecting Minnesota taxpayers.
Federal officials said rooting out complex fraud networks requires sustained investigative work to secure convictions and recover taxpayer funds, adding that additional enforcement actions may follow as cases develop.