DX
Download Download Now
National

Trump Postpones Strike On Iran After Gulf Leaders Urge Negotiations

Dallas Express | May 18, 2026
Trump Postpones Strike On Iran | Map image by tuan12/Shutterstock

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that the United States postponed a planned military strike on Iran after leaders from several Gulf nations urged Washington to allow negotiations to continue.

In a social media post, Trump stated that an attack had been scheduled for Tuesday but was halted following appeals from the emir of Qatar, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, and the president of the United Arab Emirates. He noted that discussions with Tehran were ongoing and could produce an agreement acceptable to the United States and regional allies.

“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” Trump wrote.

The President said he instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Daniel Caine, and the U.S. military to stand down from the planned operation while remaining prepared for “a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice” if talks fail.

The announcement marked the first public confirmation that the United States had prepared to resume military action against Iran amid escalating tensions tied to Tehran’s nuclear program and regional security concerns.

The Associated Press reported Sunday that the United States may be coordinating with Israel on potential renewed strikes, citing two people familiar with the matter, including an Israeli officer. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told his Cabinet that “we are prepared for any scenario” and said “our eyes are open” regarding Iran.

Trump warned on Sunday that “the clock is ticking” for Iran to reach an agreement and said Iranian leaders needed to “get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them.”

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian acknowledged during a televised meeting of the Government Information Council that Iran had “suffered harm” from continued U.S. and Israeli attacks, Fox 4 KDFW reported.

“It is not the case that we have not suffered harm,” Pezeshkian said, while also urging Iranian leaders to avoid rhetoric that could deepen divisions. He added that Iran would not surrender the country’s “dignity and honor for comfort and convenience.”

Iran’s Foreign Ministry also signaled that negotiations remained active, per NBC News. Spokesman Esmail Baghaei said Tehran was not “intimidated by the enemy’s threats” and confirmed Iran had submitted another proposal to the United States through Pakistani mediators.

According to Iranian state media, Tehran’s 14-point proposal focuses on ending the conflict and securing “confidence-building measures by the American side.” Reports did not indicate whether the proposal included concessions tied to Iran’s nuclear activities.

The Strait of Hormuz remained effectively closed Monday, contributing to rising oil prices and renewed concerns about global energy supplies. Reuters reported that oil prices have climbed more than 35% since fighting and disruptions intensified in the Middle East.

U.S. Central Command said the American naval blockade in the Arabian Sea had turned away 85 commercial vessels as of Monday. The military also said four additional ships were disabled to enforce compliance with the blockade.

Signs of instability in the ceasefire continued to emerge over the weekend. Iranian state television aired presenters carrying firearms on live broadcasts. One anchor said he had trained with a masked Revolutionary Guard member and mimicked firing at a UAE flag. Another presenter displayed a weapon she said had been sent to her and declared, “From this platform I declare that I am ready to sacrifice my life for this country.”

Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates reported that a drone strike caused a fire near the Barakah nuclear power plant. Officials said the fire did not compromise plant operations or safety systems. Saudi Arabia also reported intercepting three drones that entered from Iraqi airspace.

Trump said he remains open to negotiations but warned the military remains ready should diplomacy collapse.

Previous Article
NYC Gets The Finger: LoBaido Plants Giant Middle Finger At Mamdani’s City Hall NYC Gets The Finger: LoBaido Plants Giant Middle Finger At Mamdani’s City Hall