fbpx

Tyson v. Paul Postponed Over Medical Emergency

Mike Tyson and Jake Paul | Image by Netflix
Mike Tyson and Jake Paul | Image by Netflix

The Mike Tyson versus Jake Paul boxing match has reportedly been postponed following a doctor’s recommendation regarding a medical emergency Tyson recently sustained.

Tyson reportedly suffered an ulcer flareup while on a flight from Miami to Los Angeles on Sunday, prompting the 57-year-old to get the medical issue checked by a doctor, according to the New York Post.

An X post by Tyson confirmed that he was now “feeling 100%” after the incident, but he wrote in a separate statement that he must take some time off before returning to physical activity.

“I want to thank my fans around the world for their support and understanding during this time. Unfortunately, due to my ulcer flareup, I have been advised by my doctor to lighten my training for a few weeks to rest and recover,” said Tyson, per ESPN.

The fight was initially scheduled for July 20 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, though it remains unclear when it will now take place.

Tyson would have entered the ring shortly after he turned 58 years old had the fight occurred on the initial date, where he would match up with the 27-year-old Paul.

The age disparity had been a concern entering the fight as Tyson had not fought professionally since June 2005. Still, he has assured the boxing community that the ulcer issues are not due to his age and that he remains in fighting shape.

“My body is in better overall shape than it has been since the 1990s, and I will be back to my full training schedule soon. Jake Paul, this may have bought you some time, but in the end, you will still be knocked out and out of boxing for good. I appreciate everyone’s patience and can’t wait to deliver an unforgettable performance later this year,” he added in the statement, per ESPN.

Paul spoke about the postponement, saying that it was “devastating news” to receive and that he was “heartbroken” at the decision, but he also added that the health of both boxers was the most important thing.

“We’ve been working so hard over here, everyone in this camp. And I just feel bad for everyone involved in this event, the whole undercard,” he said, per USA Today.

“This … opportunity has been ripped from all of us. I do value Mike’s health first and foremost. Love that guy. I have so much respect for him. I want Mike to be healthy,” he said.

A new fight date is expected to be announced on June 7, and the hope is that the fight will still take place at AT&T Stadium, per ESPN.

Although the fight is expected to bring many to Arlington to witness the return of one of the greatest boxers ever, some have begun to have concerns regarding the high price tag for those who live in the area.

Recent reports indicate that the fight will cost taxpayers roughly $1.8 million, with the City of Arlington contributing roughly $247,000 and the State of Texas contributing an estimated $1.5 million.

Support our non-profit journalism

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Continue reading on the app
Expand article