Donald Trump’s former personal attorney Michael Cohen has settled his lawsuit with his ex-boss.
Cohen claimed in his suit that he was left with steep legal bills after being entangled in investigations concerning the former president and the Trump Organization.
Both sides announced the settlement during a Friday video conference with the judge.
Initially filed in 2019, Cohen’s lawsuit was scheduled to start trial on Monday in Manhattan.
The settlement details were not immediately made available to the public.
Cohen said in a statement that the matter had been resolved “in a manner satisfactory to all parties,” according to The New York Times.
Trump’s former alleged “fixer” had accused the company of failing to abide by the terms of a deal by refusing to pay him more than $1.3 million in legal costs.
A separate lawsuit filed by Trump against Cohen in Florida remains active, NYT reported. Cohen is also expected to testify as a witness against Trump in a Manhattan criminal trial next year.
The relationship between Cohen and Trump went sour over allegations concerning $130,000 in purported hush money payments to porn star Stormy Daniels. Cohen allegedly paid Daniels to remain quiet before the 2016 presidential election. He claimed he did so at Trump’s direction.
After a 2018 hush money investigation, Cohen pleaded guilty to multiple crimes and was briefly imprisoned. He subsequently testified against Trump in a congressional hearing and has been cooperating with prosecutors in other cases.
The decision to settle with Cohen stands out against previous comments Trump made. In a 2016 presidential debate, Trump said he disliked settling cases.
“I don’t settle cases,” he said, according to The Washington Post. “I don’t do it because that’s why I don’t get sued very often, because I don’t settle, unlike a lot of other people.”
Trump was not expected to testify on Monday in Manhattan. However, his son Donald Trump Jr. was on the witness list.