The Mexican cartel allegedly responsible for the kidnapping of four Americans, which ultimately led to the death of two of them, has purportedly issued an apology.
“We have decided to turn over those who were directly involved and responsible in the events, who at all times acted under their own decision-making and lack of discipline,” reads a letter allegedly left by the cartel, according to the Associated Press (AP).
The letter goes on to say that those involved in the kidnapping violated the cartel’s own rules in terms of “respecting the life and well-being of the innocent.”
A photo of five bound-up men accompanied the letter, according to AP.
The State of Tamaulipas, however, has not confirmed that any suspects are in custody.
Two of the victims of the kidnapping were found alive Tuesday, as previously reported by The Dallas Express.
The incident began when the four Americans crossed the border city of Matamoros via Brownsville, Texas, in order for them to receive cosmetic surgery.
A group of armed individuals started firing at their white minivan.
The two surviving victims, identified as 38-year-old Eric Williams and Latavia McGee, were found inside a shack at a place east of Matamoros on Tuesday.
Shaeed Woodward, 33, and Zindell Brown were found dead in a nearby field.
According to officials, the Americans were caught in the crossfire between two armed groups and were not specifically targeted by them.
Drug cartels have been known to occasionally communicate with the government and the public either in attempts to intimidate or to — in this case — smooth over situations where an incident may affect their business.
“It ain’t gonna change nothing about the suffering that we went through,” Jerry Wallace, a cousin of Williams, told AP about the apology.
John Kirby, White House National Security Council spokesperson, said earlier this week that the U.S. government was working with the Mexican government to investigate the kidnappings and killings.