fbpx

Severe Weather Impact Still Lingering Over DFW

severe weather
Oncor working on power lines | Image by Oncor/Facebook

More severe weather in the Dallas-Fort Worth area has left homes and businesses struggling to keep the lights on.

A severe thunderstorm on June 2 has left even more North Texans in the dark after last week’s power outage, which affected over 600,000 Oncor Electric Delivery customers.

Oncor, a major utility provider for the region, reported that as of 9 p.m. last night, 8,855 Dallas County customers were left without power, per NBC 5 DFW.

This number increased from the previous 6,988, at noon as Oncor is still working to get last week’s outages under control.

The continued outages — affecting 6,094, at the time of publication — have left many homeowners and businesses struggling.

A local resident in Dallas has been without power for six days due to the severe weather.

Matthew Scott spoke with NBC 5, where he has run cables from an outdoor generator into windows to keep his house cool.

“It’s been bad. We’ve been cramped into one room with a portable air conditioner running,” Scott shared with NBC 5.

The homeowner lost power after a tree limb snapped to his house. He still doesn’t know when his electricity will be restored.

Oncor told the outlet that it had recommended Scott to turn to a private electrician to restore his service.

Another resident living nearby, David Fox, took his family out of the state for several days, hoping for restored service upon their return. They had no such luck.

The family was in the dark from May 31 to June 2, when power was finally restored.

“Something that we kept thinking about is a lot of people can’t afford to take that trip or go stay in a hotel, a lot of people can’t afford the loss of groceries,” Fox told NBC 5. “This hits people hard; not everybody is in the same economic class.”

Oncor’s crews are working around the clock to restore power, even as potentially more severe weather threatens to slow their efforts.

“Our crews are continuing to work throughout the night, and at this time, we are not changing our timeline for when we hope to have all outages connected to this week’s storms resolved,” The company said in a statement to NBC 5.

“We recognize the challenges of being without power after such a devastating storm and we appreciate our customers’ patience.”

Support our non-profit journalism

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Continue reading on the app
Expand article