Charcuterie meats and deli items produced by Daniele International LLC are being recalled due to possible bacterial infection. The USDA Food and Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) announced a recall on Sunday of nearly 53,000 pounds of ready-to-eat sausage items due to possible contamination of listeria monocytogenes.
Listeria monocytogenes is a type of bacteria known to cause listeriosis infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Symptoms of infection include headaches, fever, muscle aches, as well as gastrointestinal issues.
The illness primarily impacts pregnant women, adults ages 65 and up, immunocompromised people, and newborn children.
Listeriosis outbreaks have been linked to other food items such as enoki mushrooms and deli items.
Texas oysters have seen a similar recall as some of the food specimens were found to carry norovirus, as previously reported by The Dallas Express.
The FSIS discovered the possibility of listeria contamination during routine inspections at the Mapleville, R.I. processing facility, where the bacteria was found on surfaces that had come in contact with the sausage. However, no illnesses or adverse reactions have been reported due to the consumption of the sausage products.
The following products are under the recall order, according to the USDA:
- 6-oz. plastic tray of “FREDERIK’S by Meijer SPANISH STYLE charcuterie sampler tray” with sell-by date of 4/15/23.
- 6-oz. plastic tray of “Boar’s Head CHARCUTERIE TRIO” with sell-by dates of 4/13/23, 4/14/23, and 4/15/23.
- 7-oz. plastic tray of “COLAMECO’S PRIMO NATURALE GENOA UNCURED SALAMI” with sell-by date of 12/23/23.
- 7-oz. plastic tray of “COLAMECO’S PRIMO NATURALE BLACK PEPPER UNCURED SALAMI” with use-by dates of 12/22/23, 12/30/23, and 1/17/24.
- 1-lb. plastic tray of “DEL DUCA SOPRESSATA, COPPA & GENOA SALAMI” with sell-by dates of 4/13/23 and 4/14/23.
- 1-lb. plastic tray of “DEL DUCA CALABRESE, PROSCIUTTO & COPPA” with sell-by date of 5/6/23.
- 1-lb. plastic tray of “DEL DUCA GENOA SALAMI, UNCURED PEPPERONI & HARD SALAMI” with use-by date of 5/4/23.
- 12-oz. plastic tray of “Gourmet Selection SOPRESSATA, CAPOCOLLO, HARD SALAME” with sell-by date of 4/14/23.
The company produced these products between May 23 and November 25, 2022. These items were then shipped to retailers between December 23, 2022, and January 17, 2023
Officials warn those who have these products to either dispose of them or return the items to retailers.