In a press release Wednesday, the American Heart Association honored nine Texas Health Hospitals with the Mission Lifeline recognitions for the way they care for patients with heart attacks. Seven of the hospitals were awarded the Get With the Guidelines for care of heart failures and strokes, based on information from 2020.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that every 40 seconds, a person in the U.S. has a stroke, meaning that nearly 11,000 people across Texas die every year.
“With cardiovascular disease being the leading cause of death in North Texas, each national recognition just emphasizes Texas Health’s unwavering commitment to treating patients living with chronic diseases,” said Kirk King, who is Texas Health’s executive vice president and hospital channel chief operating officer.”
The press release quotes Sunita Koshy-Nesbitt as she remembers her care for patients during her work as a cardiac electrophysiologist.
“It’s imperative for Texas Health to continuously evaluate, implement and assess comprehensive approaches for improving patient care,” said Koshy-Nesbitt, who also serves as chief quality officer for the hospital channel at Texas Health. “Always striving to deliver quality, compassionate care is our motivating factor, and it’s such an honor to be recognized for our efforts.”
The Mission Lifeline award has two categories: STEMI, ST elevation myocardial infraction, and NSTEMI, non-ST segment elevation myocardial elevation. The Dallas area hospitals to receive the STEMI award are:
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas — Gold Plus Receiving award levels
- Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth — Gold Plus Receiving award levels
- Texas Health Huguley Hospital Fort Worth South (joint venture) — Gold Receiving award level
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano — Gold Plus Receiving award levels
- Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Southwest Fort Worth — Bronze Plus Receiving award level
The Dallas area hospitals to receive the NSTEMI award are:
- Texas Health Dallas — Silver award level
- Texas Health Fort Worth — Silver award level
- Texas Health Plano — Silver award level
- Texas Health Southwest — Silver award level
Dallas area hospitals to receive the Get With The Guidelines Stroke award are:
- Texas Health Dallas — Gold Plus, Target Stroke Elite Honor Roll and Target Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll award levels
- Texas Health Fort Worth — Gold Plus and Target Stroke Elite Honor Roll award levels
- Texas Health Plano — Gold Plus and Target Stroke Elite Honor Roll award levels
“Thanks to the great work being done by hospital staff, including nurses and patient care technicians, along with physicians on the various medical staffs, we’re able to achieve great things,” King said. “That selfless compassion is guided by Our Texas Health Promise: Individuals Caring for Individuals, Together.”