Dallas, TX
Saturday, December 3, 2022
English Español


Fine Print

English Español

Police Arrest Suspects in South Dallas Murder


Dallas Police Unit | Image by FOX 4

Donate to Dallas Express to Keep it Free

Dallas police arrested two suspects on Monday after the fatal shooting of a man in South Dallas earlier this month.

Kristal Elijah, 37, and her boyfriend, Treunte Jefferson, 28, were arrested in connection with the murder of Kennerick Buffin in South Dallas on September 19.

At approximately 1 a.m. on September 11, officers responded to the 2400 block of Elsie Faye Heggins Street and found a man with a gunshot wound to his chest. An arrest-warrant report stated that a nearby resident had phoned 911 after discovering a man lying in a pool of blood in front of an open apartment door.

Investigation revealed the apartment belonged to a disabled woman who had asked for medical help via the emergency line about four hours earlier. On the call with 911, she was heard apparently arguing with Buffin and another witness. By the time the police arrived, she was not there.

Two days after the shooting incident, authorities found that the disabled woman had had a medical emergency and was taken to a hospital. She swore an affidavit claiming that there had been a disturbance when she called 911 on that Sunday.

In the written statement, the woman explained that Buffin was at the apartment with her when a friend, Elijah, and her boyfriend joined them. The woman affirmed that she wanted to leave with the couple because Buffin was intoxicated, so she got into Elijah’s vehicle. Jefferson then allegedly shot Buffin, per the affidavit.

The woman claimed she asked the couple to stay and help Buffin to safety but that they instead drove to Elijah’s home. She also testified in her statement that Elijah advised Jefferson to remove evidence from his hands and the gun.

At some point, the woman alleged, the couple hid the gun involved in the shooting inside their home. She claimed they warned her not to mention the shooting and ensured compliance by preventing her from calling anyone about it, according to the testimony.

The affidavit noted the woman could not leave without help and claimed she held back in the fear that Elijah and Jefferson would harm her if she spoke to someone.

Someone at the home called for emergency medical service for the woman the next day. Upon arrival at Elijah’s home, authorities met a girl, Elijah’s daughter. She alleged to a detective that she saw Jefferson washing his hands with bleach one night the previous week, the affidavit said.

Elijah refused the police interview, while Jefferson told the police he was unaware of the homicide. The attestations stated that Jefferson claimed to have stayed outside while Elijah helped the woman into the vehicle and did not see anyone else at the woman’s home.

The pair remains in custody, with Elijah’s bail set at $500,000 and Jefferson’s at $750,000.

We welcome and appreciate comments on The Dallas Express as part of a healthy dialogue. We do ask that you be kind. Kind to each other and to everyone else in your comments. For more information, please refer to our Complete Comment Moderation Policy.

Subscribe to Comments
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments