Dallas, TX
Monday, December 5, 2022
English Español


Fine Print

English Español

Dallas Police Investigating After Woman Dies in Custody


Dallas Fire Rescue on scene of the incident. | Image by CBS News

Donate to Dallas Express to Keep it Free

A Dallas woman died in police custody on May 26, and now a Dallas Police Department Special Investigations Unit is trying to piece together what happened.

In a video news statement released June 8, Deputy Chief of Police Terrence Hall described the events that transpired, noting that the department has released the bodycam footage of the incident in an effort to be transparent.

Workers at the Karz auto lot at 12002 Garland Road called 911 around 12:45 p.m. and reported that a woman was causing a disturbance in their business. The caller stated that the woman appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol because she was yelling and falling down.

When officers arrived, they found LaDamonyon Dewayne Hall, 47, walking along Garland Road with bags, clothing, and a wig. Bodycam footage shows the officers approached Hall and questioned her about the allegations and her current state.

Hall appeared disoriented and struggled to answer the officers’ questions.

One of the officers asked several times if Hall was okay. Hall did not verbally respond but nodded her head up and down. They then asked if she had been drinking, and she quickly shook her head and said “no.”

When asked if she required an ambulance, Hall confirmed that she needed to be checked out but could not communicate what she was feeling.

A Dallas Fire-Rescue ambulance arrived on the scene at 1:15 p.m. and began evaluating Hall. She collapsed to the ground for several minutes before standing up, becoming aggressive, and undressing.

When officers moved in to restrain her, she resisted.

As officers took Hall to the ground, she said, “You’re hurting me,” several times. She also berated officers and EMTs while being restrained.

Hall was handcuffed on the ground for 8 minutes and 16 seconds. Officers put a spit hood over her head as she yelled. First responders loaded her into the ambulance, where she continued screaming and struggling to get out of the restraints.

According to the bodycam footage, at one point, Hall yelled, “I’m dead,” and, “Mama, I’m gone.”

During the ride, Hall became quiet, and, according to DPD, her vital signs started dropping.

After about five minutes of silence, EMTs began CPR on Hall, and lifesaving efforts continued as the ambulance arrived at Baylor Medical Center Emergency Room.

The officer went into the hospital for help, and a single nurse came to the ambulance before returning to the emergency room.

The officer can be heard in the footage saying, “She doesn’t seem terribly concerned, man.”

He then asked first responders if he should get someone else, and they replied that they were “alright.”

First responders continued CPR as hospital personnel rolled Hall into the ER, but medical personnel pronounced her dead at 2:05 p.m.

Hall’s family met with the Dallas Police Special Investigations Unit to review the bodycam footage.

The Dallas County Medical Examiner performed an autopsy on May 27, but results are pending.

We welcome and appreciate comments on The Dallas Express as part of a healthy dialogue. We do ask that you be kind. Kind to each other and to everyone else in your comments. For more information, please refer to our Complete Comment Moderation Policy.

Subscribe to Comments
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments