Black and Hispanic people currently make up more than 90% of all murder victims in Dallas, according to City data.

The City of Dallas victim demographics dashboard shows that there have been 104 murders committed so far this year as of July 5. Of the total number of murder victims, 66 were black (63.5%), and 30 were Hispanic or Latino (28.8%), comprising a combined share of 92.3%. The remaining eight victims were all white.

As previously reported by The Dallas Express, the Dallas Police Department has been struggling to fight crime amid a chronic staffing shortage. The department only fields around 3,000 officers at present. A prior City analysis, however, advises that roughly 4,000 are needed to police a jurisdiction the size of Dallas.

Irrespective of race, the Dallas City Council district with the most murders so far this year is Council Member Adam Bazaldua’s District 7. Some 23 people were killed in his jurisdiction this year. Fifteen of them were black, five were Hispanic or Latino, and three were white.

Zooming in on Dallas’ black murder victims, data indicates that 54 were male and 12 were female. The youngest victims were two 16-year-olds. The oldest was 80 years old.

Of the 30 Hispanic victims, 27 were male, and three were female. The youngest victim was 14 years old, and the oldest was 52.

When looking at a breakdown of the white victims, the data shows that seven were male and one was female. The youngest victim was 18. The oldest was 78.

Budgeting only $654 million of taxpayer money for DPD this fiscal year, the Dallas City Council chose to spend much less on public safety than other high-crime cities, such as Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York City.