The new year comes with new changes to the Starbucks Rewards program.
With every purchase using the company’s app or a Starbucks card, customers enrolled in the Starbucks Rewards program earn “stars.” Starting in February, the rewards program will be changed to a different number of stars, or points, needed to earn free menu items, Starbucks announced.
With the new changes, a free hot coffee, tea, or bakery item will cost 100 stars. Previously, these items only cost 50 stars. Items previously costing 150 stars, such as an iced coffee or iced tea, will now cost 100 stars as well.
Other changes include “handcrafted” beverages like a latte or Frappuccino or a hot breakfast item, which were previously only 150 stars, and will now cost 200 stars.
Lunch items such as a packaged salad will be 300 stars, increased from 200. Packaged coffee will also require 300 stars, a decrease from the current 400.
According to Starbucks, the new official star requirements are as follows:
100 Stars may be redeemed for one (1) of the following:
- Hot brewed coffee or hot steeped tea.
- Iced brewed coffee or iced brewed tea.
- Bakery items (such as a cake pop or cookie).
- Packaged snacks (such as popcorn or potato chips).
- Siren Logo Plastic To-Go Cups, Cold (24 oz only).
- Siren Logo Plastic To-Go Cups, Hot (16 oz. only).
200 Stars may be redeemed for one (1) of the following:
- Any handcrafted beverage (such as a latte or Frappuccino blended beverage).
- Any hot breakfast item (such as a breakfast sandwich or oatmeal).
300 Stars may be redeemed for one (1) of the following:
- Packaged salads or lunch sandwiches.
- Packaged protein boxes.
- Packaged coffee items (such as whole bean coffee). Packaged coffee availability may vary by store location.
The new rewards system will take effect starting February 13, 2023. Terms and conditions apply.