President Donald Trump accused South Africa’s government of enabling racial violence against White Afrikaners, announcing that the country will not be invited to the 2026 G20 summit in Miami, according to a statement Trump posted on X.
Trump stated in the November 28 post that the United States did not attend this year’s G20 in Johannesburg because South African leaders “refuse to acknowledge or address” what he described as widespread human rights abuses against Afrikaners and other White descendants of Dutch, French, and German settlers.
“To put it more bluntly, they are killing white people, and randomly allowing their farms to be taken from them,” Trump wrote.
“At my direction, South Africa will NOT be receiving an invitation to the 2026 G20 … and we are going to stop all payments and subsidies to them, effective immediately.”
Trump also criticized U.S. media outlets, saying mainstream news organizations have refused to acknowledge what he called “genocide,” arguing that their silence has contributed to a broader loss of public trust.
South African officials, including President Cyril Ramaphosa, have repeatedly rejected the genocide allegation, calling it “completely false.” A recent BBC analysis also found no evidence of a coordinated extermination campaign, though it documented concerns about rural violence, political instability, and fears among Afrikaner families.
Rising Concerns Among Afrikaner Families
Trump’s announcement comes amid growing concern among some Afrikaner families who say they face escalating crime, political hostility, and inadequate protection from law enforcement on rural farmland.
International outlets, including the BBC, have reported that about 70,000 South Africans — mostly Afrikaners — have registered interest in relocating abroad following fears over farm attacks and government land expropriation policies.
In May, during an Oval Office meeting, Trump confronted Ramaphosa with video clips he said showed incitement against White farmers. Ramaphosa dismissed the claims and described Trump’s conclusions as misinformation, while acknowledging broader security challenges affecting all South Africans.
First Group of Afrikaner Refugees Welcomed in the U.S.
In May, as previously reported by The Dallas Express, the Trump administration welcomed the first group of 59 Afrikaner refugees to Dulles International Airport after prioritizing their resettlement.
State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce defended the decision at the time, telling The Hill that the administration viewed the migrants as victims of racial discrimination.
“No one should have to fear having their property seized without compensation or becoming the victim of violent attacks because of their ethnicity,” Bruce said. “We will continue to welcome more Afrikaner refugees and help them rebuild their lives in our great country.”
Trump explained that many Afrikaner farmers were “being killed,” adding that “their land is being confiscated.”
Ramaphosa dismissed the group who resettled in the U.S. as “cowards,” according to the BBC.
U.S. Halts Payments to South Africa
In Friday’s X post, Trump also ordered an immediate stop to U.S. government payments and subsidies to South Africa, asserting that the country had “demonstrated to the world they are not a country worthy of membership anywhere.”
The White House has not yet disclosed which specific funding categories will be suspended.
State Department officials say the U.S. will continue accepting asylum and refugee applications from South Africans who can show evidence of persecution or targeted violence.
South Africa has not issued a formal response to Trump’s latest announcement.
