Twenty-seven organizations that help North Texas veterans just got a financial boost thanks to the Texas Veterans Commission’s (TVC) Fund for Veterans’ Assistance (FVA) who presented over $7.6 million in grants to be used to provide services for more than 4,000 veterans.
The grants support a wide range of services from emergency financial assistance to transportation to rental and mortgage assistance.
Grant funding is generated primarily by the Texas Lottery Commission’s games designated for veteran support. Other sources include individual donation options on drivers’ licenses, licenses to carry a handgun, outdoor recreation licenses for hunting and fishing, and vehicle registrations.
A few of the grant recipients and their services include:
- City of Fort Worth – $300,000 to fund financial assistance for veterans, dependents, and surviving spouses in Tarrant County
- Goodwill Industries of Fort Worth – $300,000 to fund employment support services veterans, dependents, and surviving spouses in six North Texas counties
- Presbyterian Night Shelter of Tarrant County – $50,000 to fund homeless veteran support services in Tarrant County
- Union Gospel Mission – Dallas – $200,000 to fund homeless veteran support services in Dallas County
- Veterans Center of North Texas – $100,000 to fund financial assistance for veterans, dependents, and surviving spouses in 10 North Texas counties
- Baylor Scott & White Research Institute – $400,000 to fund clinical counseling services for veterans, dependents, and surviving spouses in any of Texas’ 254 counties
- One Tribe Foundation (Formerly 22KILL) – $300,000 for clinical counseling services for veterans, dependents, and surviving spouses across Texas
- City of Dallas Veterans Treatment Court (VTC) – $50,000 to fund VTC services in Dallas County
- Tarrant County VTC – $300,000 to fund VTC services in any of Texas’ 254 counties
- Meals on Wheels of Tarrant County – $500,000
If you are a veteran and need assistance, contact the Veterans Commission at 800-252-8387 to learn how your life and your family’s lives can benefit from your military service.