With Week 3 of 2021 Season play now in the books, summarized below are scores and highlights from games involving some of the ranked Schools whose programs were mentioned in earlier Dallas Express articles. Team season-to-date won-lost marks are cited in parenthesis.
- Austin Westlake Chaparrals (3-0) 59, Mansfield Summit Jaguars (1-2) 21 — in this neutral site non-conference game the “Chaps” scored quickly, early and often. Offense featured TD runs of 62 and 59 yards from scrimmage blended with 75 and 46 yard scoring pass receptions. A 48 yard 2nd Qtr field goal contributed to the 24-7 halftime lead.
- Duncanville Panthers were originally scheduled for long distance discovery, but the District and School cancelled its Sep 10 Panther Field host matchup with Ohio Sycamore amid swirling question and ethics accusations descending on the Cincinnati based
- Southlake Carroll Dragons (3-0) 31, Prosper Eagles (2-1) 0 — lifting off its 2021 season with three road games has proven no obstacle to the Dragons. Inflicting the first defeat on Prosper as spiced with the shutout. This came one week after surrendering 541 yards in a one point win over Rockwall Heath. Defense ruled in this one.
- Houston Katy Tigers (3-0), 28, Dickinson Gators (1-2) 21 — down Houston way the Red and White Tigers of Katy High School ran their Season record to 3-0 in putting up fourteen 4th Qtr points to secure a non-conference 60 mile road trip win over Dickinson. The Gators threw only 11 times — one good for a TD — but had a terrific night running the ball. Paced by Senior Reggie Sanders’ 70 yard TD sprint the team rushed it 32 times for 182 yards, a terrific 5.7 per carry average. At this writing Katy has yet to serve out game statistics. Pushed every inch to the limit by the host Gators, the Texas 4th ranked — 13th Nationally — Tigers may well slide a few rungs this week while preparing next for its home field challenge from The Woodlands.
- Austin Lake Travis Cavaliers (2-1) 35, Rockwall Yellowjackets (3-0) 59 — this was a widely anticipated shootout between the State’s #5 ranked Cavaliers paying a call at the home of the 11th rated Yellowjackets. The underdog hosts rolled up a 28-7 Second Half advantage enroute to the lopsided final. Sophomore Cavalier QB Nico Hamilton was perforce summoned for 45 downfield attempts. While three of these connected for a TD, three others were picked. By contrast ‘Jacket Senior Braedyn Locke put up five scoring strikes with only a single interception. Plainly some reshuffling of the rankings deck is in store this week.