fbpx
Dallas, TX
Tuesday, September 27, 2022
89°
English Español

Fine Print

English Español

Photos Released of Escaped Convict Gonzalo Lopez

Featured, State

Gonzalo Lopez tattoos | Image by U.S. Marshals

Donate to Dallas Express to Keep it Free

New photos have revealed more information on the physical appearance of an escaped Texas convict.

Gonzalo Lopez, a convict who escaped from a Texas jail, has been on the run for nearly three weeks after slashing a prison bus driver and escaping into the desert.


Lopez was an associate of the Mexican Mafia serving consecutive life terms for murder and attempted murder. Multiple law enforcement agencies are offering a total of $50,000 for any information that leads to Lopez’s arrest.

The United States Marshals Service published the new photographs last week, and they showcase an assortment of tattoos. They include one with the word “Aztlan” across his lower back and another with the word “Gonzo” across his stomach.

Marshals describe Lopez as a white or Hispanic male standing roughly six feet tall and weighing 185 pounds, with distinct artwork inked on both arms and chest.

The Dallas Express reported on his escape on May 12.

Lopez evaded capture by freeing himself from his restraints while being transported through a remote area close to Centerville, Texas, in a bus reserved for high-risk offenders. He is suspected of breaking through a metal cage and stabbing the corrections officer driving the bus, thereby momentarily taking control of the vehicle before another guard shot out the tires and caused it to crash.

The fugitive was last seen sprinting into the nearby woods off of Highway 7.

The Leon County Sheriff’s Office issued warrants for Lopez’s arrest for escaping from law enforcement custody and aggravated violence against a public official.

Hundreds of law enforcement officers are involved in the search, both on foot and on horseback. A Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesperson said this is the largest concentrated manhunt in at least 18 years.

Lopez was previously found guilty on two charges of aggravated assault, receiving two sentences of eight years each in 1996. In 2006, he was convicted of first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping and was sentenced to life in prison. After being found guilty of the attempted murder of a person in a position of authority in 2007, Lopez was given a second life term.

U.S. Marshals spokesperson Susan Pamerleau said the agency has designated Lopez’s escape as a “major case” and would contribute up to $10,000 toward finding and apprehending him.

“We sincerely hope this money will serve as an incentive for someone who knows something to do the right thing and contact us,” Pamerleau said. “The sooner we get him back into custody, the better.”

In addition to the $10,000 from Marshals, the Texas departments of Public Safety and Criminal Justice are contributing $35,000 and $5,000 to the reward pool, respectively.

Lopez, who has connections to both the Rio Grande Valley and San Antonio, is considered armed and dangerous. Authorities strongly advise the general public not to attempt to catch him independently.

We welcome and appreciate comments on The Dallas Express as part of a healthy dialogue. We do ask that you be kind. Kind to each other and to everyone else in your comments. For more information, please refer to our Complete Comment Moderation Policy.

Subscribe to Comments
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments