Displaced residents of the Highland Hills Apartments explosion last month are still struggling with no permanent place to live.
As previously reported by the Dallas Express, about 200 residents of the apartment were forced into displacement, including residents of two other buildings that were not affected by the explosion but had utilities cut off for safety reasons and damage repair.
Some of the residents are left with no other permanent accommodation option and have had to stay in hotels since the incident. The city of Dallas Office of Emergency Management covered the costs of the hotel rooms and planned to continue providing the displaced with shelter until they could safely return home.
City councilman Tennell Atkins said during a press conference on Oct. 3 that the city will make sure that the families affected will be taken care of. “No one is going to be displaced,” he said, “they can still stay in the hotel.”
According to NBC 5, the city of Dallas said in a statement on Monday that the property owner is ultimately responsible for paying for the hotel stay of the residents.
The management company recently sent an email to residents saying it evaluates the damaged buildings and makes exterior repairs before residents can safely move back in.
Since the incident, displaced residents have had different stories of struggles. According to an NBC 5 report, there have been reports of burglaries in the homes of displaced residents this past week, as the damaged buildings are vacant for repairs. Officers have arrested a man in connection with the burglaries. Police patrols in the area have also been increased to strengthen private security provided by the management.