Three people were hospitalized and a Dallas apartment was evacuated on Thursday due to a carbon monoxide leak.
Dallas Fire-Rescue was called to the Radius Turtle Creek apartment complex at 3604 Cedar Springs Road at 7:17 p.m. on August 18. Dallas Fire-Rescue staff picked up high carbon monoxide readings on the first floor of one of the buildings. The readings were notably higher throughout the underground parking garage.
Investigation revealed three workers had been working with a gas-powered pressure washer in the underground parking garage without proper ventilation. The gas leaked from the parking garage and into the five-story apartment building that houses 200 occupants, causing firefighters to evacuate it.
Alex Michaud, a resident, told FOX 4 News he had been sitting in his apartment and eating a bowl of cereal when the alarm went off.
“The alarm just started going off, and we walked out and found out there was some carbon monoxide that got in the building,” explained Alex, who left his unfinished bowl of cereal to evacuate.
Another resident, Raymond Urias, said, “They came, knocked on my door, and it scared me. I didn’t even know what was going on.”
All three workers were transported to a local hospital before firefighters began clearing the gas using positive pressure ventilation with multiple fans. No information was provided regarding the condition of the workers.
Residents were later allowed back into their homes once the area was cleared of the gas.